Broke Down in 5 O'clock Traffic

I'd gone to St.Martinville to pick up some medicine for my ol' dog. Being that I was in St.Martinville, I decided to ride over to Cade, just a few miles away, and see if there was anything happening. I had a feeling that the world of railroading was not stable and disruption was waiting. That was the only reason I didn't go on home because it's a fact that I've seen about all the normal stuff and have enough pictures of normal stuff to last me a lifetime, be that as it may.

Tuesday after Labor Day was very quiet.
Going into New Iberia I saw L&D 1707 heading north from the depot, L&D's office.
I figured it was going out to the north yard and switch for a while which is L&D's usual timetable.
I didn't bother chasing it and lazily reversed course to head on home. 
Then I saw it bolt north up the mainline.
The chase was on. 
He had floored it and was running too fast for me.
I had stop signs and stop lights and more excuses
But then, it stopped just north of Broussard.
I heard communications between the engineer and another train, he explaining where he was.
Then I heard the BNSF dispatcher asking where he was.
I also heard some other stuff that I'm not sure about so I will not print it.

 I decided to take a few shots of the engine.  I have 1900 shots of this engine. I've now graduated from engine picturing school and  do engines on locations picturing, the next tier up from sophomoric  engine picturing. The following are shots of 1707 sitting,  He would have a long day.



  
At one point a crewman was outside looking at the engine. 
I don't know if that plays into what would happen.

I didn't feel like waiting and proceeded up the line toward Lafayette.
At Elks a train sat on the old F&A branch.


I believe 1707 had been  talking to 1852, the engine at Elks.
1707 was waiting for it and its train with tail engine to come out on the main and go north  into Lafayette
.
That I just figured out as this is what I saw from Alligator Hill, previously known as Alligator Point.








 It was Mz Utah pulling a train and the previous lead engine, 1852, across the Vermilion River, 2 road crossings and  up the hill,  The old girl is a horse.

I'd follow here on into Lafayette.
She stopped at the BR branch.

That is not me on the motorcycle but perhaps another train chaser.
 She backed onto the branch with 1852 now in the lead. She was stopped.   I have lost the patience to hang around and where I operate, hanging around is not a good idea. Sooner or later there will be a confrontation. People and police don't understand loitering rail heads.

 I'd head out to the Lafayette Yard.

I heard that a train was getting ready to take off.  I was loosened up and ready to rumble. I always have that nagging question as to whether I still have the right stuff or not.  Lately, a certain amount or rail passion has gone. Perhaps I need to order some traintesterone, available for 19.95. It comes with a warning about whether you have the heart for it or not. That requires more medicine. I've thought about my dog's steroids but then she'd not be happy about that.

Sure  nuff, he was taxiing up to the starting line.
These behemoths shake the ground as they strain to pull their load.  
That and the noise of the engines make as they are being leveraged up is a phenomenon most don't appreciate, but those same people can watch planes taking off all day. You can't chase a plane. These are way more fun, up close and personal.

He out ran me until he slowed to let me catch up. Thanks Buddy. I crossed the tracks ahead of him and set up for a few "Train Across the Prairie" shots.
 The sun was starting to be a factor.
I heard on the radio that he was to "meet one" at Crowley. It was nearing time for Amtrak so I wanted to see that.  I stationed myself beneath the US 90 overpass, a very favorite location.

Shooting way out, it was clear he (on the right) was not passing Amtk.
It was a short train headed back at me.

That done, I headed back to Lafayette stopping on the way to take a birthday picture.
Happy 30K, still getting over 50 miles per gallon.
 That was it, I was going home. Out on the Breaux Bridge Hwy I heard a distraught lady dispatcher.
A L&D train was broken down on the mainline. It was pulling 88 cars. It was after five, rush hour not only for the road level working world, but also for Amtrak that was coming fast and had to get by.
 It was 1707 by itself ..... dead in the water but off the main.
The "plug" was the train on the right.
What shoulder?
 Shot taken from the Halliburton parking lot.  1707 was off the main line, leaving her 88 cars there.
Amtrak was in the Lafayette Yard. The dispatcher had offered the crew a chance to unload  the passengers at the station and to pick up the waiting. 
The distance from the yard to the depot is 
roughly 2 miles by rail. Amtk was not backing up 2 miles with only a crewman as eyes.
They opted out. I don't know if the dispatcher realized  when  she had come up with a plan to send rescue engines to the marooned train. They couldn't get by the passenger train as there is no passing siding .... so .... the folks waited at the station and Amtrak waited in the yard.  I wanted to wait for the engines to get out to Elk, but waiting makes me nervous. Just as I moved on a state cop approached. My timing was great. My experience with attitude heavy members of law enforcement has created no pleasant memories.

I made it to the depot  and caught the the twin BNSF life boats  hauling it south before a perplexed group waiting at the station.

Mommy, it's the train.

 

 No, baby, that's not the train.
 I had three options. 
I could head out to the yard and take a shot of the waiting Amtk passenger train.
But that would mean going into an alley adjacent to the hood at dusk.
My Romney / Ryan bumper stickers might draw a crowd.
Or, I could head back out to Elks and watch the mating, always an exciting moment, still.
But that would mean crossing a lot of traffic or becoming part of that traffic.
No way Jose'.
The third was to be thankful of catching a very interesting situation, one
that does not happen everyday and going home with a camera full of picturing. 
I have lingering questions as to whether the incident could have been averted.
But, what do I know?