Riding the Rails between Durango and Silverton


Today I found these old pictures in a box. They were of one of the best vacations we've ever taken.  The initial target of our outing was Durango, CO.  There is a tourist train there.  I am not belittling the railroad, just being factual. It hauls tourist up an old narrow gauge railroad route, climbing and climbing into the San Juan Mountains, stopping and turning around at the tourist town of Silverton and then returning to Durango.  But, there may be more happening at Silverton as I've seen these old engines pulling non-tourist trains. It is a once in a lifetime outing.  We  did it twice which was a mistake.  A very raunchy comparison just crossed my mind. To keep this "G Rated", I'll simply say the second time did not have the excitement of  the first, plus I had taken some guests and they were complainers, no, they were antagonist,  which left me even more disappointed  and despondent . Lesson learned there. What blows your skirt up may not work with others skirts, and keep your yayas to yourself if you want to fully enjoy the skirt thing, a simple rule.  Sharing is tough when you have  unappreciative recipients.  These pictures were taken over a decade ago. Pardon the quality. The photos have been scanned and enlarged and then reduced  to offer some realism without being too large. Quality was not sacrificed because they were not that good anyway.  You can enjoy poor pictures if they stir your memory.  Still, to me, they still exude  sound and action.  Unfortunately, pictures don't work well if you haven't been to where they were taken and these certainly are not postcards.  
I think we should move on.

One more thing,  Paulette and Pooky are headed that way. Finding these pictures is really weird timing. They are going to have a blast.  This is the second train out there they have done.  The first was in New Mexico,  a similar, but dissimilar train ride which I tend to like, maybe a little more since there is not the, OK,  hordes of people to deal with.
You may assume that I dislike assemblies of more than 3 participants.

I'm not even attempting to put these pictures in order. If you want reams of text and pictures of the Silverton and Durango RR, just Google it. 

 This is  your best choice of riding packages, and the cheapest. If it rains, you get wet. If it is cold, and it will be, be prepared. The inclosed coaches are for the afflicted or non photographers.
Think "moving duck blind" with great views, great sounds, and very good vibrations.

Heading up to Silverton. I'd guess this was in the  first 1/2 of the trip.  Imagine a chilly morning, about 9:30 or 10:00, where the sun has not crept into the narrow valley,  and it wouldn't.


 The river is always with you as it made the railroad possible.  This might not be Silverton, but
a passing track along the way.  You can see that the railroad does a business. The tickets are 
not cheap.  These trains are painted gold for a reason.
 What can you say?  It is awing.  The flatter your home turf, the  more awing.  For us, it was  redlining awing.
 I like being closer to the engine, say within at least a 1/4 mile.  Note the boxcars. Indeed the train might have had business in Silverton other than the giddy and sometimes goofy passengers.
 This is a rail bridge across the Animas River near Silverton.  Its design seems familiar.
 The train had come up through that break behind it. The river and rails dive south from there.


 If you like rocks, the Rocky Mountains are where you want to be.
Again, the icy mist  wouldn't burn off. I remember drinking some credit card hot chocolate
in  Silverton. 
 As I said, these are film pictures, expensive film.  In such places it is easy to get into a shooting frenzy.
Why didn't I take more?  Film was sold on board the train. Expensive ....
Nowadays,  be sure to have plenty of memory and power on board.  This ride
could easily get you 3,578 shots, most very similar but at the time  wildly different.
Germans are often seen filming the whole thing.
Every chance to see the engine is reason to shoot again. There are many chances as the river snakes its way up (and down).  I will go out on a limb and suggest changing sides on the return trip.
 I'll be, that's my wife.   After this ride she wanted me to find all the steam tourist trains in the 50 states and Mexico.   She is still mad at me about Copper Canyon. (not steam but ....)
I blew the opportunity prior to the "troubles".  The Mexican "troubles", not ours.
Going up, the  song  is the engine straining, singing that old train ballad, "I Think I Can".
Going down there is no song, only the straining squeals of the brakes trying to maintain decorum. 
They are all 14000 feet.  After a while they seem normal.
Well, "normal" until you try to drive north on CO 550.
If you even mildly expect a drop of acrophobia running in your veins, just don't do it.
Maybe on a bike, maybe in a car, but hell no in an RV and double hell no going north in one.
My wife was in the fetal position crying as we slowly descended into Ouray. I expected to die and was making my final confessions. Possibly that was the source of  her tears? Were mine, I thought all of those were safely in some lock box.
Things get flat approaching Durango.
There is a famous picture of the train coming around a sharp bend. 
This was taken while it was doing it. Notice the angle  of the shot.  
There is none.
This may be the shot shown before.
Like the trip, especially the first time, they never get boring.
Ok, I confess, I'd like to do it again, even if I have to put up with Matilda and Joe from St.Louis and their screaming granddaughter, Lucy.






What had the original riders thought about this?
If only they had written a ride report.  Hum.
More later, Paulette and Pooky, send pictures.