Train Chase: Show Down at West Switch

I don't know if I told you about the other day. Yea, maybe
I did. I'd been beaten and sent home wet by dear old
Mother Nature much to the amusement of certain readers.

Last night I heard the weather report. It said I'd have
a better chance of getting my chores done on Friday. One
chore was to return a movie to Brother Al. I'd also include in
the bag a Rolling Stones album that my good friend Michael
had treated me to along with a collection of Tony Joe White music
he'd asked for.

If you don't know TJW, you need to meet him. He is the
spokesman for gritty low down white north central Louisiana Blues.

Now there's a genre that is hard to beat.

What does this have to do with Train Chasing? It motivated
me to get out, that's what. After you chase 289 trains you
need a little bit more incentive. I could make some analogies
but I'll leave those alone as they are really out of the realm
of chasing trains.

When you get run off by a bully, you go back to where
he ran you off and wait being a little more prepared.

I returned to where I wanted to catch the Sunset Limited
and sat. Mr. Black Cloud didn't return.
Nor did Mz Sunset Limited.



I got so bored I shot the water tower, an old trick one of my mentors
taught me back when I was getting lost in Old Mississippi.
Remember the Duson Water Tower ride? It was a memorable outing.



Thanks to Mark, I had the scanner humming. A report of
trouble at the west yard switch was all the talk. I'd run by
Al's and drop off the stuff and make haste down the thruway
and then cut through Lafayette following the rails to make
sure she didn't get by me.

On the way in I checked at Elks. 1513 seemed asleep. She
would be taking cars to the yard. If Mz Sunset was coming
there could be trouble. Two women, one track..... not good.
That vision would carry forth.



Running through the yard I knew a big one was waiting to
take off to the west. Sure enough.



Then I discovered what she was waiting on. Here came Amtrak 66,
one of the 4 special 40th Anniversary engines. Remember the
other day when we saw her at Camp Pratt in the rain.



Now she was moving slowly. I sensed a problem.



The yard speed limit is 45, she wasn't doing 25.



Surely she would take another track. The NS train sat on
what I consider the main line. Mz Sunset slowly approached
the black beasts. When a woman approaches, stops and
stares directly into your eyes and there is no smile on board,
a certain aura emanates. I felt that emanating aura. No kidding.

(A clarification of "NS train" can be read at the bottom of the page)



I gawked at the old cars.



She stopped. A safety-green clad worker was in the field.
He'd been there.



He seemed to be reading a newspaper.



I again gawked at the neat cars. They will be covered later in this write.



I zoomed down the line. Mz Amtrak seemed in limbo.
He was now on the sports page.



Uh oh. The conductor was out of the train and marching to
the front. Yes, it was high noon at the West Switch.



He was having one of those "hands on your hips" moments where
you formulate your next move. Or, he was taking the safety off.





He yelled up at his engineer. I don't think Marshall Earp was in party mode.



"Hey, I'm coming up. Open the d_ _ _ door".



Yes, it seemed a visit to the cab was needed. I have an
idea he wanted to speak to the dispatcher. I didn't hear
that conversation but I can only imagine. It appears that
there is one way in and one way out of the west yard.
The dispatcher had plugged the hole. I think the conductor
had in mind "plugging" the dispatcher.



Is a ladder the only way in? Railroad technology has lagged.



Did I say I'd look close at these cars later? I did, didn't I?
Be patient!! (my newest favorite quote)



I sure did get to look at them for a long time.



There seemed to be a discussion going on between the conductor
from the NS train and the conductor of the Limited. They seemed
to be standing at an official twenty paces. For those unfamiliar with
dueling, that is the distance of no return. Possibly they were still at
21 paces?



I didn't sense any brotherly railroader love in this scene.



The NS guy backed off as the Amtrak moved forward past the black engines.
It was a teetering moment. I think Marshall Earp weighed the circumstances.
Backing up a 20 car train would be easier than backing 200 cars. I've never
seen 200 cars backed. But, then again, I've never seen a show down at the
West Switch.



The Amtrak conductor was off the train and walked to the north
side of the tracks, inspected the switch and just stood there.
The NS conductor stood by his train.



They weren't trading recipes. I could see ripples of heat
rising from the the Amtrak conductor's spot. I waved.
He didn't seemed amused.



The newspaper reader was on the move. He was headed to
the switch. I suppose that moving the switch was his job.



The Norfolk had a clear track with the Amtrak tucked away.
The confrontation was not over.




The NS conductor retreated to his engine.

The Amtrak conductor slowly walked in front of the huge
Norfolk engines. Was he daring them? I felt there was a
bit of taunting going on.



I didn't overhear any Bon Voyages.



The Norfolk stopped. Indeed, the newspaper guy had been with them.



He opened the right door and went inside.



The ground pounded as the huge train strained for speed.
(Forest just said he thought my writing was good so in the
above sentence I put the pedal to the medal. Even I'm impressed)



There she went. I've chased her kind to Jennings. They aren't
any competition. In fact I had to wait for her to get there.
At my level, having chased 289 trains, the competition better
have some moves or something special going on. Not many can
fill the bill anymore, sadly.





I think the Amtrak guys were fuming as NS's long black snake slithered by.
(Good sentence there, also).



And slithered. (The message is lost if you say too much
at one time. I feel that just happened)



The conductor was left to turn the switch so his train could
back up and be on its way. It was unmercifully hot and humid.
I was doing nothing and I was soaked.



He got into the end car. He would be the human eyes of the train.
I could hear him talking to the engineer verifying that the
crossing gates were down etc, etc.



He didn't have that friendly conductor smiley face on.
His train was 1:15 minutes late.



I was given another opportunity to look at the special cars.



I was again given an opportunity to look at the special engine.



I bet the crew and passengers weren't feeling too special.



The switch realigned to where the NS train had been, the
main line, and Mz Sunset Limited Amtrak left in a huff and
a puff.



There went the special cars.



Be patient!!



I took off after Mz. Mz Sunset, she being special.
Here Al. Al enjoys the misfires. He thinks they are special.



I caught her crossing the University St. underpass.





I'd ride over to Taft St. and take her picture when she left the depot.









She seemed to have regained some composure.
I bet the AC was on full wherever the conductor was.
I bet it was having a time cooling him down.
I like the shot below the best.





There she goes off to New Orleans.



Check those Special Cars.



And the ones we mortals can use.



If I didn't show the end of the train, I'd get nasty notes.
Maybe I should say, "More nasty notes".



The conductor was still looking out the back window. I think the heat got to him.



My next chore was returning Mark's book. Of course I took
the scenic route by AKDN's lair. 4106 was on the main tracks.
Had it moved?



1503 was still prepping for the prom. It hadn't moved.



I seriously think it is a "show engine". I wonder where the
pageant is going to be?



The big UP roadrunner was at SILX. Was it broken?



3018 was still in line. Was it broken?



Mark and Shorty were gettinerdone. Yes, this is the new
Train Chasers Club House. I have some neon lights we'll
hang. I was going to offer up a pool table but the building doesn't
seem level, nor does Shorty or Mark or the charred power line pole.
That oak tree seems to have a problem, too.



OK, now the special pictures of the special cars, again.

Click the pictures to enlarge. Naw, they are just as small.

Pullman "Pacific Sands".



Boston & Maine "Salisbury Beach"



Burlington "Silver Splendor" Where have I heard that name before, tee hee.



Yes, there are other crazies out there. Some are actually
riding trains. He shot me a wave and a weird smile. If I can
find that shot? I'll post it. That's it.



****oo-L just offered a clarification:

I want to clarify for you that the westbound train that met the eastbound Sunset at the west switch was not an NS train with an NS crew. Rather, it would have been either:
  • a BNSF train with a BNSF crew and NS run-through power; or
  • a UP train with a UP crew and NS run-through power, exercising UP's trackage rights on BNSF track.
Except for Amtrak, trains and crews of one railway operate only on its own rails and where it has trackage rights. In any case, the dispatching (and any mis-dispatching) is done by the owner of the tracks--in this case BNSF.

Let me add: Any presumption of "mis-dispatching" is only for the amusement value of this story. If there was, I have no basis to say so.