Train Chase: Louisiana Rain

Louisiana rain is falling at my feet
Baby I'm noticing the change as I move down the street
Louisiana rain is soaking through my shoes
I may never be the same when I reach Baton Rouge

Louisiana rain is falling just like tears
Running down my face, washing out the years
Louisiana rain is soaking through my shoes
I may never be the same when I reach Baton Rouge

2 verses by Tom Petty

There's nothing like Louisiana rain. I particularly like it while
sitting under a tin shed in a pine forest or a camp in the swamp.
They would be my A+ rated locations.

Where I spent this afternoon's rain gets a B++.
More on that in a few pictures.

I rode down south of Cade and, as expected, a loco met me.
I saw the sign saying to wave and I did.
"Drawbridge" signs really hold me up.



There the container train went being pulled by only one engine.
I'd seen this train near Bayou Sale. She's a regular.
Don't even try it bud, you can't beat a train.









Then I went to my favorite local location, Camp Pratt.
Camp Pratt was a Confederate training camp and held
a small number of prisoners during the Civil War. For me it
is one of the few nicely shaded areas where no one bothers
you for some reason. If there are ghosts there, party on.
I stopped because there was a L&D train bringing cars
out of the refinery that had exploded. I drove back to the refinery
and from the road you couldn't tell anything had happened.



Then the rain started. I seemed to be insulated beneath the trees.
It was quiet except for the occasional passing car on the torn up road.
The rain in Louisiana comes down. No it doesn't come down, it pours down.
It muffles everything. It is a wonderful phenomenon.
Then I saw a familiar light.



It is hard to absorb much while peering through a viewfinder.
I did grasp that something was different.



The black beak made this one a different bird. Upon close
inspection I saw that the engine matched the baggage car,
well, somewhat.



Next to the Amtrak trademark, I think I saw "2011".



I knew the L&D was waiting for the Limited to get by.
1709 would get its act together soon. The rain never stopped.



Another afternoon with Mz Sunset was over. There she went.



The rain continued.



Old US 90 was downright peaceful. The lightning strikes
were around but never close. Mostly.

I had time to shoot my go anywhere scooter. They don't like being left out.



Here we go, the L&D lass cleared her throat.



The brakeman did the switch.



I heard the dispatcher give her a warrant to go south into New Iberia.
Problem: she was pointed north.



She pulled out of the siding and straightened out.





The brakeman realigned the switch.





He hopped on the tail end.



Al, that you?



The train was backing down the main line with Al on the
lead car. I assume he had a radio since he was now the eyes
of the train. Better look where you're going Al.



The drizzle continued. It was about 75 degrees. My glasses were fogging up.







Now a few larger pictures. Click them to expand and that's
it for this one.





I had no pictures of any of the Amtrak engines in the rain.
This was a special afternoon. Back by 4:15. It was a rough
ride home. More later, thankfully.