The Jasper and Eastern RR.......Elizabeth 1

Every time I write one of these things it's a test. Before ever figuring out how to start I have to figure out if I want to start. Sometimes these reports get to be arduous.

Let me ease into this one. I had visited Oakdale, La. and found enough stuff to keep me going west on the Santa Fe Railroad, known locally as the Jasper and Eastern due to Texas laws, but that's another story. The J&E stretched from Oakdale to J&E Junction near Kirbyville, Tex. The next stop going west from Oakdale would be Elizabeth, La.

It got to be 12 noon. Seeing the day go away, I decided to tuck in and make haste to Elizabeth. Approaching Oakdale I again looked for an obvious crossing point for one of Everett's projects, the Oakdale and Eastern RR. I know I had found the line exiting Oakdale and where it entered Pine Prairie, but I was not sure of what was between since I attack all my explorations in a very nonchalant manner. I have the tools, on and off the bike, but hardly use them to their ability. I'm heard the word "astute" used, but I'll have to look it up. I don't think it applies to me. "Committed" is another one. It would only apply in a medical setting. Moving on:

The above was meant as a disclaimer of sorts. At one time I visualized my contributions as being serious guides and articles. After reading one of my postings, my wife said, "You can't be serious," so ever since, I haven't been.

What the hell was I talking about?
Oh, I was looking for an old railroad crossing. Honest, looking for something makes the ride more interesting. You could look for black dogs and achieve the same experience. Humps and bumps and cuts in the woods are my black dogs.

Here are some black dog pictures between La.13 (Barber Spur) and Oakdale on La.10. By the way, for the serious motorcycle rider, ie, one that goes places and sees things, that stretch of La.10 is a pretty fine link of highway. Going west from the intersection of La.10 and 13, it pulls you out of the Cajun Prairie into the rolling pine covered hills of Western Louisiana. It traverses the drainage coming out of the Kisatchie Highland to the north which changes the scenery. Don't expect your ears to pop. Here's those pictures I mentioned 20 minutes ago.





Then I got to Oakdale. I wanted to look for the Black's cemetery near the mill. I think I found it but I didn't shoot it since it looked like a million I've seen. I did find the south entrance to the large rail yard at the end of the Y where I had found the rails on the last outing. The rails within the yard don't seem to be messed with. I could see iron at the crossing!!! I just sensed a thousand readers sitting up and looking closely at the next picture.



Here's a map so you can see where it was taken. If too many crowd in there at one time to shoot this landmark, Johnny Sheriff will bust you. That's their driveway. I guess, for some reason, they feel that they need to be behind a locked fence, or maybe they are possessive about their rail booty. People are strange.



Until I get back on this you can reread about Oakdale. That will help prepare you for Elizabeth. CLICK HERE to read about Elizabeth's sister mill, the J&E, and the mill RR.

That's it for tonight. We'll get into Elizabeth tomorrow. I get nutz if I write past 10:00Pm

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PAGE 2