The Southern Pacific p.7 BB to Arnaudville

Before I get started, I need to explain my diminished enthusiasm. I go out exploring, I find stuff, sometimes stuff that is amazing and then I quickly write it down while my enthusiasm is still cooking. This one has lingered too long and I'm finishing it up as if it were a job that needed completing instead of the pleasure it should be. I'm not going to do them like this anymore. What happens is what almost happened on the last page. It was a boring stinker. If I hadn't gone back and found the train parked, I would have blown it up. It was close. Now, the only reason I'm completing this job is what I found in Port Barre.

Like I always say, I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

On the last page, I had just cleared La.94/Mills Street/The Lafayette Highway/The Breaux Bridge Highway, all the same road.

This route is so old my GPS Topo doesn't show it. The tracks followed La.31, except where the road and Bayou Teche, which it was following, went into a big meander. That big bend is called Grand Point. The town of Cecelia was once known as Grand Point, thus "Grand Point Road" (La.347) in Breaux Bridge. Mentioning that gives me a chance to say that the mustard colored line is the other railroad that followed the Teche, the Missouri Pacific, which like all these other railroads had other names in earlier days, a few we'll learn after arriving in Port Barre, the grand finale' of these rails and ride.

Have you ever been given something that you felt was so valuable you didn't feel qualified to possess it? After leaving Port Barre, I think that's the feeling I had or maybe it was just excitement.

Back to the mustard colored MP line. I have followed it, reported on it, and was very aware of its route, well, up to the end when I couldn't figure out if it went into Port Barre or not. Now, I now understand it and the other 3 railroads that crossed or ended in PB. Sorry, we, just like the old trains, can't move too fast.



This next shot is taken from the first through road, Daugereaux Road, after what is locally known as 4 corners, the intersection of La.31 and La.94. It is looking back to where the existing rails at the Enterprise location end. There was no place to park or I would have hiked to the end of the rails for a shot of where "today" ended and "history" begins. Howz that for drama? We are in what was known as the Gecho-DeClouet communiies, Both had stops.



Next up is Gecko, seen on the map. Was there a station? Here's a cutout from a SP Schedule Page that will keep you on board (Everett again).



We, or course are going from bottom to top or south to north. After Ruth should come Breaux Bridge. Instead, you see "Lafayette" which was a westward option, I believe. Above Breaux Bridge you see Nina, Lenora, Achafalaya River, which were eastward options at the depot right before Breaux Bridge Junction. Next up would be Gecho and De Clouet.

Just follow the power lines. They are right on most of the time. Looking back toward Breaux Bridge.



I'm going to say that this is where the depot was. I can say that.



What I toll you?



At this point, the railroad cuts across the "point" and does not visit Cecelia (Grand Point). I think as late as 1939 the place was called Grand Point?

It's time for Everett's next map. Remember, these maps can be clicked to enlarge.



I want to get up some steam here so there will be few pictures and less explanation. I don't see it on this 1935 schedule, but I have seen McVeigh mentioned on others.

First is the Magnolia Plantation area. The road is called DeClouet Road. it goes around and hooks up with La.354 that brings you back to La.31 The SP crossed this loop. These are pictures of what I guessed was its route. If not, they are pictures of other stuff, grass, trees, what have you. Lately we are being asked to believe a lot. Just add these to your "I Believe" list.



I just checked the schedule and the DeClouet and Gecko stops were only .6 miles apart. Weird. Maybe they were different plantations or there was something between them that separated them, like a swamp?



I had to stand on my bike seat for this one. I overheard,"Dear, there's a man standing on a motorcycle taking pictures of out backyard. I could hear the sirens coming. What would I tell my wife this time? Luckily it was the volunteer fire department on a practice run.





A lot of sport bike riders trudge through all this crap and even write to say what sludge I've imposed upon them and that this surely can't be described as a motorcycle enthusiast's website. I write back and tell them that it's really a search for great opportunities to "get air" over those old railroad humps. They write back and it usually goes like this, "Wow, man, you the dude.[Or, "dude, you the man?] All the time I thought you were just some old weirdo that liked wandering around wasting your time". I thank them for their appreciation and move on. This one's for you, Scott. It's like they are all named Scott or Ned?

For the railroad guys, this is a banked corner. You can ride faster around these. I knowm, banked rails are limited to roller coasters.

I need to add this as heath insurance for the fast and loud group: Pissed off Cajuns have been known to blow "bikers" scaring their dogs and endangering their kids right off their putters. They call it "deer season practice" or something like that . I'm not exactly sure how it goes in French, but when someone says it, they all laugh. I think I've heard "une biche defunt, hahahahahaha" at the end of the bar at the corner of 354 and 31.
I left.



I have this other schedule that mentions what I think are spurs out here or stops. This was evidently a line that embraced the neighborhoods or maybe, the neighborhoods embraced the railroad as a means of travel and crop transport. I'm sure it was a mutual thing.



Next up the line was McVeigh Rd. I've traveled this road a million times. It's a little known shortcut. Turn at one of my favorite country churches.



Here's looking back at the church which is on 31.



Here's what I found and now recognize it for what it was.



This is where the Model A's and T's, horse and wagons, tractors, and all means of transportation had to stop and wait for the train to pass. It is also a place where kids of all ages waved to the train guys and, maybe, looked down the track as it disappeared, thinking, "one day, one day".


Durio Road was next, but to be honest, the picture was worthless. But, researching Durio Road, yes, I do some reseach, I found this. Here's to you Mr. Durio.

"Mr. Durio, a native of Arnaudville, died at 11:20 p.m. Monday, March 9,
1998, at his residence. He was the son of the late Angelas N. Durio and the
former Euphrozine Clay. Mr. Durio had been a resident of Lafayette since 1922 where he was a Car Inspector for Southern Pacific Railroad. He was employed by Southern Pacific for 47 years retiring in 1965".

I'm thinking, "Mr.Durio was a native of Arnaudville and we are just about 2 miles south of that town. It is possible that Durio Road led to or passed through Mr.Durio's family's land. He might have caught the Railroad Fever by seeing the trains come through either here or town." That's what I'm thinking.

Also: He worked for the SP since 1918. Did he commute for four years from Arnaudville? I don't think so. That was a long distance in those days. Still is. That is, of course assuming that he worked in Lafayette. I think he worked in another location before moving to Lafayette. What say you?

The railroad came into Arnaudville like this. Right up Grain Elevator Road to the Bayou Fuselier bridge.





Looking back across the bridge from the other side, here's looking south.



CLICK HERE to move on up the line to Arnaudville and Leonville.