The Southern Pacific p.6 BB (Page 2)

I looked over my shoulder toward where the station had been. I swore I heard a whistle.



Whew. It couldn't be. Here's a refresher map. Click to make it larger.



I was headed toward the cross tracks. Someone had put some shell there to make crossing it easier. Why?



Standing on the cross track, I zoomed in on the old old rail bed ahead. It is still in use as part of the switching arrangement for the petroleum based business which is on the north side of. La.94, Mills Avenue.



In that picture you can see the rails coming at me (south) and veering east toward the old train bridge across Bayou Teche that serviced the Lafayette to Baton Rouge Branch.

If a train had come from Lafayette, it would come from my left (west). It would have to travel toward Berard Street and the old bridge, now not in use, then move backward into the business yard on the rails I just mentioned. How would it get turned around for the return trip? There is no connector coming from the business going to the Lafayette rails.

In this one I was shooting to my left toward Lafayette. The rails are curving north toward the highway and will cross it. Then they will follow the highway and cross the Vermillion bridge at Long Bridge. Next, they make their way to the main line. Louisiana Delta now services Breaux Bridge.



Here the siding crosses La.94 and goes into the business.



Hopping over the curved track and looking toward Lafayette.



Now to look toward the old bridge which was part of the Basin run to Baton Rouge. What a great shot.



Notice the houses along the rails as they head for the bridge.



Here are a series of old shots showing the rails crossing the old bridge.

Looking back toward where I was, across Berard St at the junction.



Here's looking toward Baton Rouge. The rails would pass the Breaux Bridge Sugarcane Mill if it was there at the time. The mill was serviced by the bridge up until the 80's, I'm almost sure. I remember seeing train cars on it. Just recently I saw the old X warning sign lying on the side of the road. I almost picked it up. Should have.



And as they head across Berard (La.31) to Breaux Bridge Junction.



Back at the junction, the next shot is shifted a bit south of looking at the bridge.
I saw what I believed to be another siding. I'm not drawing anything, judge for yourself. It definitely looked like an old rail bed headed toward Berard St.






Could be?

I know this has been tedious. You can't put lipstick on a pig. Yea, you can, but it doesn't help. These last few shots are looking back from where we came, the station area.



One more south shot and that's it. Notice the discarded ties on the right (west).



Al says that every once in a while one stinks. This one stunk and I almost blew it up. But....

I got on my horse late Sunday afternoon and headed for Breaux Bridge. My purpose was to get some pictures of the railroad bridge that crosses the Teche in hopes they would help smooth out this page.

It is so historical. Unfortunately, it is looked down on and referred to in a pretty coarse manner. Some bridges get no respect.



Then I saw the train sitting on the old SP rails. I slid side ways in a rush to get to it before it left. It was parked, turned off and sitting. I could have my way with it.

Immediately, the question of how the train got back to Lafayette was answered. An engine was on both ends. No problem, but it seemed over kill for 2 tank cars.



A side view, almost.



I rode around to where the cross track was for an opposite perspective.



I panned toward the Cade-Port Barre bed to show the trains relationship with the crossroads, which reminds me, the train probably can't be any longer because there is no room to back up before hitting Berard St. The rails deteriorate as they approach the street.



I know some of you want a look at the engines. I've seen 1850 down in New Iberia. And the railroad is the Louisiana Delta, not Acadian as previously stated.



The next one belongs to LD. They don't repaint when they purchase used engines. Too costly. That is real cool since you can trace where the engines come from easily. The railroad has quite a collection.



I next did a big loop out to the salt mine and back in on La.94 into Breaux Bridge. I wanted to get a shot of the old rails at the highway, some looking toward where the old bed was going and some, looking back at where it had come from.

This is looking south. The rails to the right are on the old bed.



This is looking north as the rails cross the highway and skirt the east side of Enterprise's facility.



I zoomed way out to follow the rails. There is a permanent turn installed into the rails directing traffic into Enterprise. The abandoned rails continue north, how far, I can't quite say, but not to the next road where we'll be next time. I have some extra stuff to start that one off with so stay tuned. This has been a rough page but the appearance of the train sure helped it.

CLICK HERE TO MOVE ON UP THE LINE