The Southern Pacific p.4 St.Martinville to BB

To read the first chapter, "Cade to St.Martinville", CLICK HERE

On with the ride:
Leaving St.Martinville, headed north to Parks.

Between St.Martinville and Parks, my old software does show the SP route. It didn't from St.Martinville to Cade, the last chapter that was such a mystery and I don't think anyone knows about the route but me and the few residents along its path.

I remember the rails between St.Martinville and Breaux Bridge, and, I might actually remember seeing a train on them. I've lived "out here" since 1975. A friend had a girlfriend that lived near the road that goes to Lake Martin and we crossed the tracks to get to her family's camp. Was her name Loretta, or maybe she was Loretta's cousin or friend? Remembering "Loretta" was a stretch. Dang, I just remembered Loretta's last name. Whew, that was a rush. So was Loretta.

I do get ahead of myself. I'll show the camp's location later. I think there was a golf driving range there for a while? Man, I'm clicking this morning.

First, the all important map:



Points of interest on this map:

Down in St.Marinville was the appropriately named, "St.Martinville Junction". There the trains had to leave the main line and go into town to the depot which was near Bayou Teche. My guess is that the trains backed into town.



The second point of interest moving north is Longfellow Evangeline St.Park. It is a must see. Here's a link: Click Here. The park is much improved since this visit. There is talk of a campground. It is required since there is so much to see.

Next POI is the old bridge at Levert, home of St.John Plantation and Mill. It is one of few still functioning historic mills in Louisiana. This is a rare picture of the bridge still in operating position crossing the bayou. The trains crossed this bridge. The rails connected with the Missouri Pacific rails on the east side, seen in orange. Note the 1895 plaque on the bridge. This one needs preserving, but it continues to rot.



From St.John/Levert, the rails shot north to parks.

The following are the exciting pictures taken from the imaginary engine cab as it entered Parks.



The rails ran right behind what was named, "Wolf's Store", and the Water Dept. building.



I am thinking that the water department building was the train station. I guess I could go in and ask but there are just young people in there and they don't know anything. I am now riding around looking for old people to get information. Pulling a police stop maneuver on a Power Chair is really cool, but dangerous, as the drivers can get feisty and vindictive. What does "whippersnapper" mean?



The little road to the right of the building is the rail bed. The train ran right behind the primary school. Its passing must have been an exciting event for the kids.



Leaving Parks the rails bent westward. (Refer to the top map)



After Parks, the rails continued across what are now sugarcane fields. Probably were then, too.



Here's the 1935 schedule courtesy of E.Lueck, Southern Forest Heritage Museum (SFHM) All schedules seen in this write are from the same source.



I think this list may contain spurs to different businesses. I'll have to ask Everett. Shown is the Levertt (St.Johns) Spur.



The only names I can find on this list are Levert and Gautier. I see no mention of Ruth, which is where another bayou rail crossing was. That bridge is now in the Breaux Bridge City Park, beautifully preserved, but not faithfully restored to its historical condition. Gautier is south of Parks. La Frannier Road marks its location.



This is an old one. It is a piece of a 1935 map also donated by E.L. from SFHM. Al, notice Lake Martin is near where I have written in red, "To Parks". Al left a present in a hollow tree for me one time. It had a complete list of all of his relatives and where they lived, a carved duck, and some electric flashing earrings. We've been good friends ever since. By the way, that is all true.

The rails follow La.31 from St.Martinville and in and out of Breaux Bridge. The rails I have colored red. The section where they cross is near Brick Street. It was also appropriately called "Breaux Bridge Junction". The rails we are following, Cade-Port Barre, go northwest. The ones going northeast went across Bayou Teche, crossed the Atchafalaya Basin, went through Grosse Tete and crossed the Mississippi at Anchorage. That's a whole nuther story. The ones going west are still used and go to Lafayette. I once did a ride following it into Lafayette. I think I blew it up for not being that interesting. I'm sorry I did now, since it takes little to interest me, as you may have noted?

Note to myself: Do all 473 pictures of the BB rail route on the next page. To add to the excitement, I'll tell you that I did stand in the middle of the BB Junction. It was a moment.



I forgot to show you where Loretta's cousin's camp was. Oh well.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN ME AT THE BREAUX BRIDGE JUNCTION