The Log Bayou Sequence



Yesterday's hunt for the Circus Train, though ending in disaster, did have its fun moments.
Though frivolous to most, I am infected with the simple sense of anticipation that long past  
generations enjoyed, the entry of the train into their world. In some instances
it would be a daily celebration. Often those celebrations were spaced at longer intervals.
Places that didn't have trains suffered  financially and I think emotionally.
I'm lucky to have  many sets of tracks available and the opportunity  to see the train
"arriving" any time I desire, cheaply while satisfying that "arrival" emotion.
If you share in this genetic DNA, here's a sequence of the Monday's westbound 
into Log Bayou, a place east of La Hwy.317 and Bayou Sale' (say Sally).

I thought I was late as it was after 10:30.
I lingered under the  US 90 bridge at Bayou Sale' for a while.
Lingering is tough. 
Lingering can be interrupted and the simple act of waiting for the train can become more involved.
 
 I decided to push the envelope and move east into the schedule.
 Log Bayou Rd offers no shade.
The heat was compounding and the humidity was along for the ride.
 Having nothing to do I shot a few pictures. 
This is the "hot box detector", probably at about MP 94.
 I haven't  done any  water color prints in a while and figured this a good place to scribble.
Mark, there's an antenna for your collection.
I included the wire as it's a part of my new hobby,  photographing power poles.
 I wanted to include the detector in this one.
BNSF's don't give the ambient temperature, a real failing.
And, it uses  a male voice.
UP's uses a female voice and gives the temperature.
I find that endearing, especially when she closes with, "sweetheart".
Though some think that UP is a big old nasty yankee company, they are trying to endear themselvs
to us mild mannered Southerners.
The sun may have been getting to me at this point. 
I was becoming giddy with what I perceived as "all that was wonderful" around me.
Maybe I was just becoming more receptive.  
 There was a slender monolith, what was its meaning?
There was even an offering for my new hobby.
 I sensed that I had not missed the train.
The fact that the dispatcher and conductor were on the radio supported that sense.
The train was at MP 89.
80 is Morgan City.
 The tension rises at these moments.
It's like Drew Brees flinging a long one as his receiver races for the goal line.
Are you with me? 




I backed  up.





 Though Log Bayou is not a stop, it serves the purpose. 
And I can't be selfish.
There are people waiting in other places for the train's arrival.
Most of the time they get to wait a lot.
To them I'd suggest humidity and power pole photography.
The End.