Crowley

I moped around. I may have even whined.
My wife put the keys to the bike in my hands and told me to leave.
We have been together for 48 years. She knows my manual.

I got to the gas station and my credit card would not work.
I was feeling stronger due to now being a "biker".. 
Instead of assuming it was my fault as usual, I took the hammer out of  my on board toolbox and .....
Feeling even better I went to another station and whispered to the pump ....
My card was accepted and when I was through, the machine thanked me and offered to 
buy me a cup of coffee.

Gassed, I made for my first stop when I'm feeling good, the Yard.
There was one on the main with the engine on the west end.
I had not thought of a chase but ...
I can't resist when one falls in my lap.

The cable cars are important. Remember them.


Two Black Beauties rolled out across Pecan Grove Rd.



 It was a short train.
I think I was recognized as it accelerated rather quickly.
It  might have been pulling empties.
I would not have caught it if Crowley hadn't been plugged.
This is  under the Rayne overpass on US 90.
It offers a great view into the Crowley doubles and other amenities.


The train had stopped short of Eleanor Road  and the Crowley passing track switch.


 I crossed Eleanor Rd. and there she was.
I knew that this was Wednesday morning. 
I try to keep track of the days.


 Wait
There was another train in front of my Black Beauties.
On top of that the Sunset Limited would be coming behind these two at about 12:30, I thought.


I rode  past the landmark old mill.


At Scrap Yard Bend I found the first train's engines also sitting on the main line.
The passing rails were empty.
I'm trying to keep you with me so you'll understand what was to unfold.


Sometimes they hide, but I had her number.


I stationed myself under the La.13 overpass, out of the sun, out of the rain with only one junk yard dog
going postal over  my presence. It began moaning and hid when I started singing "A Train Chaser' Anthem",
my personal composition.


I got the big camera out and zoomed.
She was sitting, as observed when I rode west, on Mill Rd.


I zoomed farther and there was a light. Was it the Black Beauties?
Was it Amtrak?
I imagined it moving, It wasn't.
Imagined movement is a constant problem. At such distances any change is hard to detect.
Then you get run over. That's only happened once and once is enough.
It sure  looked like it was on the passing  track. What had transpired after I left the BBs?
I can't be in 2 places at one time, another constant problem.


Again and again I checked.  Nothing seemed to be happening.


 Then I heard that a Canadian Pacific led train was coming from the west.
Later that night I heard it had only made it to Burwick where there were 60 mph winds
and it had to wait 2 hours while there was bridge work or boat traffic was being processed.


A crewman from the sitting BNSF  switched the switch to the passing track so the Canadian didn't hit them.


Here it came, alone.





Timing and framing can't get much better.
Is that a window air-conditioner?
I will bet those engines were not ordered with ACs since the need "up north" did not require it.
When the company  ventured south they regretted that false economy.


 There it went around the sitting BNSF tug.



The CP engine has been seen many times at the Lafayette Yard.
I think it's one of their local tugs.
Pipe carrying cars?
Pipe from New Iberia?


The switch was returned to the normal-main line position.


This is where I was sitting under the bridge.
The map is wonderfully dated.
Note: "Southern Pacific" and the rails as they were in the early 70's
and possibly before.
It was 1:03.  No Amtrak.


The train ahead of the Black Beauties began moving  west.


This spot is unusually pretty. Litter was at a minimum and the old warehouse fit perfectly.
The mills set up as a perfect background.


Next, the question, "What was the light?" would be answered.


The light was my  Black Beauties and they were on the main line.
The track must curve to give the illusion that it was on the passing track.
Might be the Borealis Effect.




Backing away:


And, there she went.


 Test time. I told  you to remember the cable cars from the Yard shot.  There they are.
Do you remember? You have 10 seconds to reply.
Continuity in train chasing is imperative.


It was now 1:17.


Where was Amtrak?
I had set my camera for close-up (the dashboard shot) and forgot to return it to normal.
I blurred Amtk's arrival. I was explosive.
I considered using the hammer but found control just in the nick of  time.

I was not feeling strong but weak, especially in the head.


  I quickly gathered myself and whipped around.
I jumped on the bike and headed west in chase. 
It was not going to elude me.
Miraculously, the  camera had corrected as the train moved on.


Reality, a fog at times, set it.
I  figured the train was gone and  not catch able.

While there  I went to West Crowley looking for any signs of work on  the Acadiana RR.
None was there but at the used car lot I did get a mild surprise.
I called my wife to see if it was OK for me to get them.
She, after 48 years, knows my manual.
She said, "Sure but you'll have to keep them outside".
She always extends my thinking time.  I got relaxed and decided to come back later.
These beauties weren't going anywhere, I thought.
They looked low mileage to boot.


Just kidding
But, why  were these two monster road hogs sitting at the end of the AKDN yard?
And, all they had attached was one box car.
Having become an expert in my own estimate, 
I figured the box car was there as a cushion for some dangerous cargo, pipe or chemicals.
Maybe rice. Rice can explode.
Eat too much and you'll see.
Maybe it was  just a place for the crew members to hang out.


Then I went looking for evidence of the T&P/ OGNE depot.
This might have been part of it.
It was on or near N Street in a triangle produced by weird street planers.

Note:
Look to the southwest of the arrow.

 

This impressive piece of concrete has to be important.


 Tall metal buildings were all about.


A long abandoned railway still sported its crossing sign, "Two Tracks".


Backing away.


 I think I found the spot.


The location of that white building to the left looks promising.


See, it sits in the triangle.
That brick building knows.


Then I heard the train had been stopped by a flag. I raced west and went 
to where I'd been before where this private land owner 
had given me carte blanche to use the spot anytime.
It is perfect. This is looking east back toward Crowley.
I had beat the Sunset out of town.











I returned to the used car lot. They were gone. Oh, dear.
Not to fear, they had moved to the "ramp" (literally) that accesses the main line.
They were waiting for the dispatcher's call.


I had to move across the main line for a shot.
Pickin's were not that good.


I did catch the crewman dancing the switch.


They moved out.


I went back to the overpass.
I knew pursuit would be impossible.
They were "accelerating" as only 8000 hp pulling one box car can.
Seriously, I doubt if the second engine was in play.


I found them at the yard, an anticlimactic end to an unusually action packed day of intrigue and mystery.


Then the Earth tilted.


And I was thrown into a time continual in reverse order.
I was suddenly at Elks looking down what remains of the old Milton run.


I turned around and sure enough my memory reported.
I was looking for Mz Utah. She was not there.


Blinking, I found myself at Teurlings St. looking down the old BR Branch.
She was not there, but, an orange surrogate was.
Mz Utah had blown a traction motor and her fate is still unknown.
Think of her.


Life will not be the same in her absence.


I went to the Vermilion R. bridge for a reflective moment.


Leaving, somewhat renewed, a street sign presented another mystery.
Maybe she was there.
To be continued.