The Light's Out Chase

A distress call had been made that one of the UP's headlights was out.  The train could not be reached as it barreled eastward. I took it upon myself to warn the crew and while I was down there I'd try to intercept the Limited as she also barreled, but instead of eastward, she would be barreling westward. That was plan B.  I was hoping to catch them in a barrel pass at Bayou Sale. I was 52 miles away and had less than 45 minutes, my estimate, to catch them. Much of the ride would be on 55 mph roads and I'd have to negotiate eastern New Iberia. I could make up some of that time on the interstate, but not much.

I included the topographic map so that you would understand my plight. 
The Isthmus of Atchafalaya  is a very narrow passageway.
Balance is everything as you attempt to make your way across it.
In actuality that was a false statement.
The wind caused the balancing issue this time.
Other times it's the isthmus effect.
The Amtrak was on the move.
 I'd miss the pass by a minute or 1/2 mile.
The endangered freight was also on the move.
I had heard the always frantic Bob, the passenger trains conductor,
yelling over the radio that the freight's light was out.
There had been no response.
 

 I worry about Bob. He takes his job too seriously.
 He's going to have a coronary one day.
I caught Bob on one occasion as he starred down a freight conductor that had ticked him off
by taking his track thought the Lafayette Yard.
The OK Corral was getting ready to be updated.

  A very special AMTK engine was in his care and he wasn't going to let some freight outlaw mess around.


The problem was worked out, but it had taxed Bob.
He stood brooding as the train moved on. 
I know his pain. Getting over a confrontation when you've chosen  diplomacy instead of violent retribution can leave that empty feeling in your belly. No rationalization made by some third party can satisfy the hunger you know must one day be fulfilled. If I was that freight dude,
I'd be looking over my shoulder and careful about where I slept. 


Bob's brother is Jack Bauer. (24 8pm Monday) Stab them in the leg again, Jack.

Time to clear your mind.
Plan A.
The freight was gone. 
I caught it crossing La.317 at Bayou Sale.
 As the last car crossed the highway.  I dropped the hammer.
Racing down US 90 I made it to the Wax Lake Outlet Bridge.
I got off the bike and fell into a dead run up the levee to the tracks.
I was not going to miss another picture.
I have not run in 50 years.
I have just had sinus surgery. 
I may be taking my job too seriously.
I may have a coronary. 
Nope, I felt great and got into position doing the stop wave.
The engineer slowed to see what I wanted and I told him his radio was broken and his light was out.
He thanked me and offered a tour of the engine.
It's fairly interesting being in a room with 4000 horses and smelling no, well, you know, horse smells.
He knew Bob, too, and shared my feelings.
He said the NS orange bandana'd engineer is in therapy as he's still worried about Bob's look.


 



 I waved as they got underway.
One more look before we leave.
Debra B'avenue waited.
 I crossed the tracks and would leisurely return westward up the isthmus.
I'd take note of the Mile Post.
 Coming through New Iberia I saw a L&D RR train was waiting to head to Lafayette.
It would have to wait a while as the BNSF train was dead in the water south of Cade.
It had Captain Cade's crossing  blocked for a while making the locals hot. I know.
 It was sitting down there.
It  had to move up even with the limo that held BNSF's newest employee,
the famous Kareen Girard.
 Kareen wasn't doing any hike to the train.
The train was going to have to come to Kareen.
He's still 7 feet tall.
Look at those mitts.
Are those NFL gloves?
Do the Saints know he's a free agent?
 
 And off they went, Kareen at the wheel.


 I toyed with the idea of seeing the L&D / Kareen train meet.
It would have been special but I don't like basketball that much 
since the days of Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish.
Come to think of it the finger pointing might have been "a moment".

Camp Pratt has sealed away her secrets once again.

 The Kareen train was taking its time.

The L&D waited.

 The question, "If 6 were 9", has been answered. At least this ride report has had its educational moment.
  Now the highlight shots.
A dangerous situation was averted.

Sometimes the ride is the real highlight.
It was this time since I hated the Lakers and still do.
I know, too serious, especially since I don't like basketball at all ....why should I care?
I guess it was Kareen showing up that brought  it all back.
And that greasy haired coach. What a East LA slime ball.(LA = Los Angeles)
and what's so magic about Johnson?
Bob, you want to go get drunk?