Engine 6996

I wasn't feeling that good as I kicked back in the ol' Lazy Boy.  That was a little after noon. I drifted off and awoke at 1:15 to the dispatcher talking to BNSF 6996.  I yelled to my wife's dog, "Kareem" is coming back, I need to  meet him". She covered her ears and went under  the table. Suddenly I felt better and quickly prepared for the ride by filling my water container and loading the scanner and cameras.

Then I dropped my helmet and it took me an hour to fix it.

Finally on t he road I heard that Engine 6996 was just clearing Baldwin. 
That would work fine. I was just clearing Cade.

We met south of New Iberia.  It had to negotiate  some slow zones which let me pass it and set up at the
New Iberia depot.  Someone reported me to a local who reported him seeing  me to me.

 I can see her light was fixed.  Kareen had not waved or tooted the horn.  
I felt down and did not pursue with my normal enthusiasm.
 Then I heard that another train was coming east and that 6996 and it would meet at Cade.
Engine 6996 sat at the bottom of the Cade passing track. It had a red light.
 The train from Lafayette approached from the west and had to move the switch.
 I crossed the highway for a different angle. Photographing "meets" is a very delicate proposition. 
Timing and location are the keys.
A camera that obeys is also nice.

 I could not believe my eyes when I saw that tree.
 I tapped the trigger one more time and caught the "kiss".  Total accident.


 That tree has served a purpose. It shows that Kareen is not being given any special treatment and it was his
 train that had to wait.  Maybe his day has been full of little inconveniences and his spoiled self ain't handling it
 that well. He pulled ahead much too quickly. I, again, hit way too many stop lights on the way to Lafayette
 and  he beat me easily.
This shot was washed out so I had to try to fix it.
I don't want you to miss the last time I saw Kareen's train.
Loosing to that jerk was painful.
 I heard that another train was behind him so I went to Alligator Point. 
It's been a while. 
This is one of the more scenic places in Lafayette.




Engines often lose traction here and slide back.
 Ya know, I think I like this shot better than Kareen's.  
So Kareen, why don't you just keep on going west. 
The Laker's and ol' greasy head need you, 
not us.
 On a sad note I met Mz Utah out on the BR. She looks like I feel.  We're getting old Mz Utah.


 See  you later ol' girl. 
You were a beauty, a sweet sweet beauty, a sweet beauty .....