Something Old, Something New, Well Not Exactly

There are two hunting grounds within 30 minutes of my house.
Anywhere from Lafayette to New Iberia can be reached within that time frame.
And, I can get to Port Barre, on US 190 quickly. 
Of course, once that initial 30 minutes is spent it only makes sense to expand the hunt. Right!!
I was a bit crippled in my ability to "sniff" out my "prey" in this one with low volume on the scanner.
Adapting, I decided to wing it and enjoy the ride on a gorgeous day.
At 2:45 Sunday afternoon, a fairly late start, 
I had chosen the Port Barre route and headed east from there toward the 
Bayou Courtableau bridge where 
I'd turn around and head back to Opelousas.
The first picture is that of an old bar on the bayou.
It has a great view of the waterway.
Mark has related a story about this place which I forget. 
I'm sure there are a few stories floating around which involve this place.
I may be getting bogged down trying to remember that one.
Maybe I'll ask him and see if he remembers.
The actual route of the bayou crosses beneath the US190 bridge and rail bridge 
shortly after the bar's location.
All the pictures would be taken with the little camera which is about as good as a phone's.
Many of the shots were deleted because they were blurred or really boring. 
The ones I kept were the exception.
Checking crossings for oncoming trains is like buying "scratch off" lottery tickets.
You hardly ever win but the possibility is irresistible.
Each "ticket" offers 2 chances,  This and That Way.


On the map below:
The location of the shots above is at the first "190" marker to the left.


The next four will be at "Shady Camp".
The waterway, which I'm guessing was an outlet for Darbonne Bay into the bayou was cut off by the Corps
of Engineers in the dim past. There is a level maintaining spillway and control structure on the levee road  going south from Shady Camp.

 Approaching the levee road on US 190.

This is probably a "borrow pit" for the highway.
Hit it right and the picture can be spectacular. Hitting it wrong and it's like this.
This is the much photographed rail bridge entering the Basin between Shady Camp and Krotz Springs. 
I am sure that "Shady Camp" is a long forgotten name.
I'll revive it just for this article.
Back at Port Barre I'd check the yard. Then I'd pan north.
Nothing shots sometime work.
East Opelousas under US190.
For those interested, this is a great train watching spot.


This is just before I deployed my cone. When not in use I wear it as a helmet. (Saturday Night Live)
Continuing on Grolee St. (on the map), at the railroad crossing, is this lumber business.
Does this place have historical roots? I'll bet it does.
This is from the Grolee Crossing looking beneath Interstate 49 (map)
This is beneath I-49.
Mark had said "the collection" at SILX  (next to the Acadiana RR office location) seemed to have changed.
I didn't notice anything. In fact it looked as if business was slow.
Maybe that was the "change".
Wait, 1503 looks different. No, that's another engine, wait ........

7101 may be a project. This is where several were rebuilt.



It was 4:15. Amtrak was due in Lafayette for 5:00
I lay down on the tank and jerked the throttle cable taunt heading south.
At Nap Lane there was this neat old Cajun homestead. 
This is all that remains after the fire.
There is a fine old barn in the background.

The I-49 service road runs a 55 mph speed limit with no semis. It is the best option.
The "Bike Barn" was a brilliant idea. It attracts people who ride bikes to bars.
Strangely, this is more my type of destination, the Lafayette Yard.
I had no idea where the Sunset Limited was. (Amtrak)
It was fifteen minutes late, not bad.
In the meantime I'd look around.
Staying in one spot is not smart.

Here she came.
Something was not "right".
It didn't click or I was too much in a frenzy to think about it.



I was more interested in the old car.
I would have to chase it to the depot.
The train was late. It would not be there long. 

At Johnston Street I was stuck at a light.
I chose to wait for the car shot.
The guy at the rear was taking it all in.
The shots I took going down Cypress St. next to the rails were not that good.
He was waving  like he knew me.
I wanted to catch him but my aim was  way off.
Remember, I was on a bike and trying to stay on the street.


There you go, sir, you have made the Chasing Trains Blog, a true honor.
And away it went.



Now the matter of that engine.


I had thought AMTK had started a new paint scheme series.
Not so.

He said that it was one of Amtrak's four Heritage Units.
"Back in 2011, in celebration of its 40th anniversary, our ... federal railway painted four locomotives in four of its different historic liveries.  They're still running around.

See photos of them ... at http://trainmasterbob.storeblogs.com/files/2011/05/Amtk-Hertiage-Units-Ivy-City2-Amtk-Photo.jpg and http://trainmasterbob.storeblogs.com/files/2011/05/Amtk-Hertiage-Units-Ivy-City4-Amtk-Photo.jpg .
See side views of the four as models at http://www.katousa.com/news/N-P42Releases.jpg".
Now we know the rest of the story, Thanks 00-L.
And, that's that.