Night Train to New Orleans

Nawlins Night Train
11 2 2012 was an extremely warm day by December standards.
Not being outside seemed a sin and I'd been sinning most of the day with a lingering ailment.
Finally I'd had enough, weakly and dizzily  I mounted the bike and rode around the yard to see
if I could maintain enough to get myself down the highway.
This was not my first rodeo chasing trains in this physical and mental state.
I automatically gathered what I needed to bring and assembled it.
I turned south and flipped on the scanner.
There was noting on the radio. Not a beep.
New Iberia was deader than a doornail at 3:30 PM.
I rode to the depot and did a U-turn back north out of town.
The radio was still dead. I had it locked on the appropriate
frequency and checked the squawk to make sure it was functioning.
Nothing.
I took Old 90 through Broussard for nostalgic reasons.
Then Old 90 exploded into new 182 which had no resemblance to the road of my youth.
In fact, it was closer to one of Houston's or New Orleans' unsightly thoroughfares
consisting of chain auto parts houses, gas stations and eateries servicing the sprawling mash of
bedroom communities and subdivisions.
We escaped Lafayette in 1975.
We had lived close by but I had no idea of how to get there.
The house is gone anyway and the subdivision only held 
bad memories so I didn't consider a side trip.

I headed out to the yard.
I knew  the "neighborhood" I had to pass through would be "active".
I was in a mood after the Pinhook Rd. experience and I dared anyone 
to give me a problem riding down a public street. 
I believe the residents sensed my mood and stood aside as I passed through.
Possibly blipping  the throttle and the mini-wheelies radiated a hint of aggressiveness.
I can't say for sure.
I looped over to the Scott Highway, Cameron St., and rode back toward 
the depot. 
I'd try to linger until 5:00 PM. 
That is the scheduled arrival time for the Sunset Limited.
I'm collecting AMTK engine numbers nowadays and the chance to
make something of the outing could not be dismissed.
Possibly a missing Bingo square would be filled.
I looked at the dead radio once more.
Oh, there was a little "L" next to the frequency.
"L" signifies LOCKED OUT!
No wonder I'd been out of the loop all ride long.
Flipping the "L" off, the radio lit up.
The train was coming in and it was 4:45, very early I thought, but very good.
I took a couple of shots to make sure I had the number documentation.
I already had these two, but no matter, being there "when the train 
comes to town" is still exciting. I guess I have latent 19th and early 20th
Century excitement genes floating around my DNA.
Trains and Tracks inspire the imagination.
I'll hold off on that oratory.
I almost didn't.
So here they were. 
A big man got out of the cab and ran toward the depot.
I think he was fetching supper and hungry.
I had the picture but accidentally erased it from the camera,
a sign that my mental functions were operating on "emergency" rations only.
 The sun was going down, I felt bad, but I still wanted to throw the dice for a decent picture.
I had considered Alligator Point but then it's right near the police station and I could not 
deal with SWAT in my Walker Rd. defying mood.
Though not the best of places, I headed to the Schilling Shack on Refinery St.
 Oh my goodness. My faith in "fellow man" was renewed.
 Unfortunately, both restrooms were locked. 
I even tried my keys.
She was not going to leave  until her scheduled 5:15 exit.
Finally, here she came. A bike rider raced to the crossing.  I closed my eyes.
 No red cardigan on the cow catcher, so I guess he made it.
I will not speculate in respect for the family at this early writing.
 The crane was still there from the other day. 
The flat bottom boat was still with it which is amazing.
I wouldn't have given it a night's survival.
 She was almost to Refinery.
The Night Train to New Orleans was on its way.
I was headed home riding the last few rays of the sun.
I could hear the on board chatter on the train.
There was a rookie in the cockpit and the old conductor was in professor mode.
The kid had 120 miles left to tie down. I know he couldn't wait.
I had 10. I couldn't wait either.
Get this cd and play it the next time you read this post.
Not an ad, just something I came upon: