Black Helicopters and the Last Chance Chase


This is inner city Lafayette, La.
More than a place where historic architecture has disappeared, 
it is  where the remnants of old railroad branches have likewise vanished.
Once the rails of the Alexandria Branch could be clearly seen crossing Cameron St. 
They are seen no more.
Still they  linger in the grass and even extend, still  somewhat usefully,  to the north 
a short ways.
I found a few pictures by Michael Palmieri which help explain these ruins.
Down the page is a great one.
Below:
Yes, it's a switch tree.
Very rare. Leave it alone!! 
 Just skip through these these next few shots if not interested.
This ride report meanders until it finally finds direction.
ARSE (Association of Rail Searchers and Explorers)
monitors this site and downloads these valuable contributions.

For those who dig rail archeology, this is the last bit of the "Alex" before she hit the 
main drag into the Lafayette Depot and joined the Sunset Route. 
I know, this is old stuff to you  loyal readers ....but ....
Look, there are some beginners in class today, let them catch up.
 Looking north toward Alexandria, La.
This place is like the pyramids of ancient Egypt.
It just hit me that there is an Alexandria, Egypt. Wow, that is a numbing coincidence.
 The bones of the pharaohs  lie about. Watch your step, you will trip.  Falling
into another hidden bone can be painful.
Winter will  let them emerge once again.
Or maybe I'll bring my Weedeater.
This is looking south across the aforementioned Cameron St.
Fresh blacktop has masked 2 sets of rails.
One, is this one, the Alex Branch, the other serviced a warehouse.
 
Now this is the Michael Palmieri  link to the past, maybe 1978 or so, I forgot.
I did the black and white change for several reasons.
An explanation:
The Alex Branch had an arm that swung west to the Sunset Route as it descended south.
Behind the train are the rails shown above.
In other words, the Alex did a straight shot into the depot, but it 
also had a track that provided entrance onto the Southen Pacific Sunset Route rails going west.
But, what are those tracks the oncoming train is crossing?
Yes, you see them. (one of the reasons for the B&W transition)

{The hidden rails in the forefront are the old depot dead end set, I'll bet}.

 The tracks crossing Alex's arm are the beer distributor's spur tracks. (and maybe something more)
The fella standing in the picture above would be standing in the left of this shot if he'd stayed there.
The rails below joined the main line in the curve between the BR Branch Junction and the Alex Jct.
 The brown boxcar is where the guy would be  standing if he hadn't moved.
Of course the next question is this: How many boxcars of beer got peelayed by a high balling train
coming around that blind corner?
Black Helicopter Photo 1.
Don't laugh, it happens.
Near here the driver of this stolen grocery cart tried crossing the BR Branch behind 
Baker Brick. Bad timing occurred. Exploding beer cans, the likes of the Parks Curve Incident,
could be heard for blocks around. The police had to break up the celebratory  mourners.
Before I close this first of 5 chapters of this ride report, 
Mark, high trestle expert and radio man,
asked me if I would show you his rebuilt antenna
which was damaged in some hurricane 5 years ago.
It goes up from there but that's all my camera would do.

No kidding, I have to hit the sack. I'll show you a hook
shot so you'll check back. Climb down carefully. 
There will be a chase in the next one and it got serious along with some other stuff.
That will be tomorrow if it rains.
Monday Morning
After a stormy night I am back at my desk to carry on with this ride report.
I sure did time yesterday's outing well.
The weather is miserable.

From inner city Lafayette, La, I rode Cameron west to the Lafayette Yard.
It could have been a library.
I'd retrace Cameron east and then down by the depot just in case I'd missed 
some radio squawk about approaching trains.
It could have been a monastery.
I'd decided to run the rails to Cade and then catch the road east to 
St. Martinville and then on home. Yipee.:(
Cade was somber.
I couldn't give in.
I'd press on to New Iberia.
In route I had a chance to get a good shot of Mz Utah
at the Elks siding. She was sleeping enjoying a Sunday nap.
 From Landry Drive I took this shot over the new growth sugarcane.
Soon, that opportunity will be gone.
The Louisiana Delta north yard is in the distance.
 Strolling down the line, three L&D engines also slumbered.
Would they sleep until Monday or be awakened after "something" soon?
 The above picture was taken from Anderson St.
I looked around and realize where I was, again amongst the bones and relics of the past.
The rails to the right did not make that turn south  in the past.
They came straight at me, right down that mowed high ground.
They were the Missouri Pacific RR's.
 This, again, is for the ARSE fellas.
"Shot Spot" is my location on Anderson St..
Above is the purple line.
Black Helicopter Shot 2
From Gonzales St. (upper right) you can see the curvature of the purple to green lines south.
That was the MP's route through New Iberia down Pershing St. I did a comparison
of  the street arrangement before and after the MP rails were removed.  A lot changed.
Now the red line. That was MP's route out to the Jefferson salt mine.
When the mine was inundated by the lake after a drilling "mishap", that customer was lost.
I would assume that loss was catastrophic.
Below is the evident right of way to Pershing St.
I'd run down to southeast New Iberia then head north to home.
I was becoming despondent.
I turned off of La.182, once US 90 and headed south 
across the tracks on Darnall Rd, turning around at Cleco
as is  my usual route.
Then I  heard the horns and clanging crossing bell. 

That was  music to my ears.
I'd be the frist in line, as close to the crossing gate as I could venture, 
which is a little too close for a sane person.
But, I nailed the oncoming beast.
 This catalyst instantly converted despondency into aggressive  competitiveness.
I needed this more than any medicine I'd been taking.
I'd have to spot him a head start and he'd need it.

I'd go north to La.182 and turn left and play the lights through New Iberia.
The curve he'd have to make was wider than mine but his speed limit was slightly higher.
 Black Helicopter Photo 3
 We emerged from New Iberia. 
I had a slight lead.
I decided to not fool around as these guys gain speed leaving New Iberia.
I've clocked them at 60 mph on the GPS.
I'd make a stand at Cade.
I didn't like the Captain Cade Rd view so I went to the depot area 
which affords a wider shot.
And ...... I blew it by a nose.


 My shot spot was at the tree, upper left.
 Black Helicopter Photo 4
After the train's passage,  in a spray of gravel and  tucked in for aerodynamics, I unleashed
my 27 horsepower upon the Old Spanish Trail.
At the Cypress Bayou dip I caught him.


It seems the train might have TAXED the trestle RESULTING IN ITS FAILURE.
Black Helicopter Photo 5
I haven't seen it reported on the news.
OVER TAXING, being a liberal failure, I'm not surprised.

I passed him.
Broussard, La. was having its Santa Clause parade and I'm sure the word was out to go very slowly
through town and make as much noise as possible.
I was headed for Alligator Pt. up the 6 lanes of the Evangeline Thruway.
Here he came. After Broussard he'd peg the throttle.
 I decided to move to the bookstore parking lot.
It worked. The American flag is at the Dodge dealership.

 I'd chase him to the yard through Lafayette. It was Sunday, I'd have a chance.

The Yard
I was there just a bit before he was.
I don't claim victory because he had unusual circumstances to deal with along with switches.
This is at the alley just before he disappeared behind those cars.
I'd have to wait until he crossed  the street before I could pursue him into the yard.

This is an example of what the crews must deal with.
Opening the door.

Walking to the switch with heavy gloves installed.

Looking at switch.
  Kicking it.
 Returning to train.
 Thrilled with this interlude, I headed home.
 But, I can't go home without visiting Larabee Pit.
L&D had left a train there. I don't know if it had a lead engine or not.
Probably it did.  I'm sure the work was continued on Monday.
The presence of the train afforded an opportunity to take a few uninterrupted shots.

 


 Then I saw it. Ties in the ground.
There had been a siding here for whatever business.
 See it?
 Larabee Pit had been the source of the fill for the trans Atchafalaya Basin railroad 
back in the early 1900's. The black line is the railroad.
Below is where I was taking pictures.
Black Helicopter Photos 6,7, and 8.
This is zooming out. The siding went to the pit.
The Vermilion River is the green line.
 Zooming further out, you can see the stretch of the
old BR Branch extending from Teurlings Drive.
to the salt mine to the east.
This one's over.  One more little bit below.
 So, back to the title.
The "Black Helicopter" part of the title came to me as I was using these areal pictures.
I'm not going into a political rant right now, but you do know Big Brother flies around in them.
The "Last Chance Chase" part simple refers to my encounter with the train in New Iberia.
The ride would have been a true dud without it.


Last chances do happen and they have to be taken, a poignant thought these days.