Updates

Hey Charlie, Steve Mast here,
I don't know if Virgil sent you my latest attempt at following the rails north. If not, the link is HERE. If you saw it before, there has been stuff added to the introduction. I sure do appreciate your input on this ride. I plan on continuing on up to Wanilla and over and up to Jackson. I need one important piece of info: when do the trains leave Bogalusa and when can I expect one at Monticello? I understand they travel very slowly, maybe 20 mph at the fastest? That would be great as it would give me a chance to find shooting spots and set up. Again thanks, Steve

The L579 list a Bogalusa at 5PM daily and usually departs about 6PM. The run usually takes about 3hrs and 30mins. depending on track conditions. The speed limit is 25MPH after they get north of the HWY 21 road crossing at Miles lumber North of Bogalusa. The chance of catching it around Wanilla or Monticello is slim. Enjoyed your pictures.


Yep, that's way late for an out of state traveler.
Am I understanding you that a train / engine comes into Bogalusa from the north at 5pm? My only real chance would be camping out somewhere and intercepting it coming in. My base camp (daughter's) is near Amite. I'm going to have to balance "miles from my daughter's house" with "later interception (nearer Bogalusa)" and of course where would be a good safe place to wait. But, I'm dogged about waiting. I have an old fold out 11 buck canvas chair that works well. This was my catch after a 2 hour wait over at Bayou Chicot (north of Ville Platte) on the AKDN RR. (old T&P Crowley to Bunkie) 2 hours isn't anything for a good hunter. Trestle shots are my favorite and there would be plenty of chances. Thanks a million for the info this time around and earlier. More later, have a good weekend, Steve

The train departs Bogalusa at 6PM, goes to Ferguson, and arrives back in Bogalusa anywhere from 330am to 4am the next morning. The crew is on duty from 5PM until 5AM.


Now that hunt would take commitment. The flip side is that the pictures would be rare. Into the summer I'd have 8 or 8:30 to get some shots in but then I'd have a real scary ride back with headlight blindness. Do you happen to know if that Smith Ferry Rd still goes to the base of the Pearl Bridge? But, I'd imagine it would be dark by the time the train got (2.5 hours) to Ferguson? A shot from the MS 44 bridge wouldn't be bad either but being parked on the bridge might be frowned upon. Oh, one more thing, are there any other trains coming out of Ferguson during the daylight hours?
Well thanks for the info. It will take some mulling over... mo later, Steve


L562 Jackson/Ferguson turn leaves Ferguson sometime after daylight. It all depends on what time the crew lists at Jackson. By list I mean the time the crew goes to work. I have picked crews up at Wanilla or Ferguson as late as 11AM. and took them to Jackson. It's just hard to say what time. What dya or days do you have available to go up there and I will try and find out the time the L562 list at Jackson. This will give you an idea as what time to be up there. I'm not sure about Smith Ferry Rd.

We visit my daughter usually starting Friday and coming back here to Breaux Bridge on Monday. . The late morning Ferguson would be great timing. If the weekend doesn't work, then I can make a special weekday trip over there. Thank you for your efforts and patience in putting this together for me. SM

PS, so I'm understanding this: Crews leave Ferguson after daylight and heads to Jackson, then turn around and comes back to Fergusson for 11 am or so where you have taken them back to Jackson. So, 6 or 6:30 leaving Ferguson and returning 11 for a 5 1/2 hour turn around. Crews traditionally do 12 hour stretches. Add 2 hours transit you are almost at an 8 hour day or are these guys working on 8 hrs?. Would an afternoon train, with another crew be leaving Ferguson / Wanilla, and maybe bringing the engine back to Jackson where the morning crew could bring it to Ferguson for an early trip to Jackson? (sorry, I'm just speculating and I know you just mentioned one train) thanks again.

The L562 Jackson/Ferguson Turn crew gets the train at Jackson, stops at Brookhaven to pick up cars, continues eastbound to Ferguson, leaves the inbound train, picks up their outbound train, heads back west toward Brookhaven. When they get to Brookhaven, they pick up and setout cars before departing for Jackson. All this is done with one crew if time allows. If they don't have time to make Jackson a releif crew will be called to releive them.


OO-L