Train Chase: For Diehards

The same old stuff over and over again, and here we go. One moment, the Stones said , "It's Only Rock and Roll ..... But I Like It". That's the way I feel about this stuff and I'll continue to rock on as long as it moves me. If it doesn't move you, you better move on. Let me continue with today's ride report.

The ride covered about 70 miles of chasing railroad trains on a good running, light weight, highly maneuverable motorcycle through all sorts of obstacles including danger. Most don't understand the high that I get from that pursuit. I don't understand Daytona or Nascar. I do know I don't need a track or burn much fuel or brake any laws or use up much time in my contests. And, I almost forgot one of the big pluses, I have subjects for my interest in photography. Add all that up and there's a lot going on in a 3 hour outing that ranges from urban warfare to thruway bedlam to back road peacefulness.

Then I get to go on and on and on about this simple mischief in these ride reports which to some equate to "look at me" flaunts. I can see their point. I hate reading about what others are doing while I'm stuck where I am, also. But, my purpose is, YEA, to make you jealous. I couldn't convince you otherwise, anyway. So, this is what I did while you did something else, big deal.

Furthermore, I use "irony" a lot, and, on occasion "sarcasm", an attack form of irony, all of which I expect you to get. If you don't, I probably don't know you anyway, so what the heck, right? I also use a little arrogance, attempting to be presidential. But, I have a long way to go to reach those heights.

Oh, where was I, a ride report. OK.

You know the drill, I went to Cade.
There, yet another crew waited, this time a crew that
was waiting to get off the train at Lafayette and have
another crew take their place.

If you ever get into train chasing, you need a scanner.
Without one, the whole soap opera aspect of the chase is lost.







I never know what perspective I like the best, so I shoot
a bunch. Then I don't know what perspective you would
like the most, so I post them all. That's sarcasm.



Flying down Old 90 to meet the Sunset Limited, it met me.
A quick exit to the shoulder got it done.



A responsive friendly toot was appreciated. The Amtak engineers
are having a good time and use the horn a lot. They have no problem
communicating that hi with it.



I wanted to sneak this one in while Mark isn't looking.
It's 1503 working on the Ville Platte rails next to the SILX shop.
I'm trying to avoid the copyright cost since it's his shot.



Moving along. In New Iberia the same ol' stuff was going on.
This work, it seems, would stretch your love for railroading.
Maybe not. But, I worked on motorcycles for 20 years and
then I didn't ride for 10 years, on the street, anyway.



I think I took the above shot to involve the railroad maintenance
enthusiast. The ties are still waiting to be installed. Man,
is it going to be cool watching that. I'm bringing my chair.
From the presence of that hoe, I'd say tee time is upon us.



No ties were present along the curbed rails. I guess they'd
curb traffic. Oh, you want to get up close and personal
with power and mass, ride your bike or car alongside a freight going
down Washington Ave. Up that by staying with the engines.
Forget the stop signs, no one's crossing in front of you.



I heard the warrant being given to the train at Cade to move to Lafayette.
I knew they'd be happy.

I didn't want anymore Cade pictures since the deputy had
told me I was under surveillance as a possible drug trafficker.
Well, I may be embellishing a little here. But, he did say there
were suspected druggies in the area. Possibly they were only
train enthusiast, not understanding the phenomenon.

I also heard that a train was waiting in Lafayette to leave after
the arrival of the Cade train.

I'd go to the Lafayette Yard. I'd have to take the thruway to beat the train.
The Evangeline Thruway has more lights than it should. I'll hold the rant.
I actually think the service road, even with Kaliste Saloon, Verot School and
one other to cross, might have been faster.
There she was at the alley.



This is such a great place to view and photograph trains,
especially in the winter.



Not wanting to hang out too much on this one, I moved
south through Lafayette to meet the Cade train. Wait,
that's not the Cade train. That train had passed the Cade
train. Yes, the Cade train had looked dead in the water. They
do tie down there. So, it was the CSX crew that was wanting
to be replaced. Ah, these ride reports do serve another purpose,
straightening out an only perceived reality.

Here she came.





I panned toward the depot and got this descent shot looking
over the underpass guard rails which I could have cut out,
but didn't. Arrogant again!



I was leaving Lafayette, having even waited at the endless
lights on the Evangeline Thruway. Then I realized I'd left
out the last chapter of this ride report, the train coming from
the Lafayette Yard that had been waiting on the Cade train
which wasn't the Cade train but one that just showed up.

I'd go to Alligator Point, my new name for the skinning
business's parking lot. It sounds better and may have
tourism implications. Notice the ties. Woo Doggie is this
going to be fun. Please let me know what part of the line
you'd like me to feature getting refitted.



Surely, rerouting will have to be done. Going to the rerouting
route will be fun, too. US 190 is the only alternative. Will
it be busy.



Here came the Lafayette Yard crew.



Yep, they were a friendly bunch, also tooting away.
They were probably fresh and full of enthusiasm, unlike myself.
The incoming CSX train had not tooted. They were probably
tired and only thinking about being off that dang ol' train.



I hope they were friendly tooting. Could it have been an
alert to faltering winos toot. I'll have to check the toot code book.

I may have to wear a hat stating that I'm not a wino.

But, the hats may catch on with winos as a fashion statement and
a source of pride and expression. I've seen that before, ya know where.
And there I'd be, caught up in irony, between a rock and a hard place,
Catch 22'd again.





Now for the "Pictures in Pictures" part of this ride report.
This is the Amtrak out on La.182 (Old US 90) between
Spanish Lake and New Iberia. Notice the camera is aimed
at me. Now that is ironic when the shooter gets shot.



Sorry only one this time, that's sarcasm, I'm not really sorry,
you'll get the hang of it, that's arrogance.