Not too Interesting

I have a couple of folders on my desktop,  One is "Output", the other is "In Progress".
I take a few pictures and I do a little research. I become interested and disinterested in spurts.
But, I never throw anything away.  Sometimes I publish ride reports and forget to move the pictures to the archives, sometimes I don't. 

That statement reminded me of the famous opening scene from "In the Electric Mist".











That should set the stage for this presentation.  I'm going to post most here. I probably will not give each segment much attention since this site no longer gets much attention, and then if it gets too much attention I shut it down. 


That's the folder containing what has accumulated.

The few I send ride reports to already know of most of this stuff. Repetition is their problem, not yours.

I'm not going to make an attempt at grouping. I'll just open a folder and show you what's in it.

The first set is about  collection is from the local paper's website. They cover the Amtak Incident. at the Pinhook Rd. crossing in Lafayette.

It was another case where the gene pool could have been cleaned  up a little, but wasn't.
The cretin survived.

The warehouse will be seen later.






I used these pictures to locate where the train had stopped and what direction it was traveling.
This is looking  northwest.


 This is looking north at where the train came to rest, which is meaningless to most
but exciting to me.



Moving right along, here we go.

Blues& Rock & Roll  Player's Pics.

These are probably solely personal.
I can count on one finger the people who can relate to these. If you are the one, feel special.







He's asking "How you do that"?




 The Bogalusa Story
This article was endless. Most just looked at the pictures and swore to read it one day, as did I.

Pictures from:













Got to read that one twice.
I'll  hold my comment.




Next. I found these cars on the Fernwood, Columbia and Eastern RR right of way while tracing scars on the Google Earth map. Don't you waste time doing that?

  Trying to find the cars ID,  I did happen upon this old picture of one of a similar caboose.
The actual pictures of the cars were not in the folder and I'm not going looking.
The story unfolded with help. 
"They belonged to Jimmy Barrett. He passed away several months ago. They were shoved from Fernwood by tractor starting on a Friday afternoon and Monday the track was taken up stating at Fernwood".


 The help went under the actual  caboose which is marooned in the red sand hills west of Tylertown, MS, and shot this to prove I was right.  There are devotees and then there are devotees.



Next up is Cypremort Point's sugar mill.
Notice the bridge across the canal that connected the mill to a  major waterway.
A reader actually traversed that bridge back in the day.

" Shortly after the Civil War, Jules and his oldest brother, Ernest Denis (E.D.) Burguières, began purchasing land in St. Mary Parish. Jules soon owned three plantations: Cypremort, Florence, and Inez Plantations. Ernest Denis owned Alice B. Plantation, contiguous to Cypremort Plantation".




From the right, above and below, you can see Louisa Rd. It was the original crossing. The La.319 crossing followed with a swing bridge and then a high rise bridge that can be raised farther.


And I'd gather more:

I'll shorten the pile to a few pictures.
The bridge.The following pictures are from the Burguieres site.



 The picture below mentions Florida, but that is Cypremort.

Then my interest turned to back to the stretch of rails from Hammond to Covington. That led to a tale
from another reader tracing the engine at Franklinton to a derailment near Goodbee.

This is the little engine that found a good home.
Franklinton, LA ... A tale of one little engine.

Mike Palmieri's shot.


Mine. .. Same engine. ... which proves it's never too late.



I see the Ride to Bunkie was published, so I won't here.  From that ride report is this picture.
This location conveys "doom and gloom".  Is that what you want in a candidate, again.
Cheneyville is spiraling downward.  


The next folder was named "Other RRs". I  have no idea what the main RR was. Yes, I now remember.
I was researching the Baton Rouge, Hammond and Eastern RR.













 Then I found a picture that added to my confusion.
On this reread I have no idea what I was talking about. 

Lafayette, La. Rail Remnants
There was a spur that angled south off the SP main and crossed Pinhook Road.
It went  to that building or a previous one.  It is very near where the Amtrak incident occurred.


Though it requires a well trained eye, the rail route can be sniffed out with a little practice.
I've tried to get people interested in this spur but that has failed.  I know it has a meaningful history.
There is also a spur or the beginning of a side track along Cypress St which is set in concrete.
I can't get anyone interested in that one either.   Somethings, I guess, I just have to do alone.


This is a picture of the famous Lafayette crossover taken looking east from St.Antoine St.
The red line helps guide the eye. I discovered this archaeological goldmine a while back.  It did excite one reader.
Them eye phones have been the downfall.  I'm sure of it.



North Rides
Georgetown Paintings by a fellow whose name I forgot.
This is the coolest one since it places the location of the Georgetown, La. depot and La. Midland cross track..






























Then I was in Osyka where I found an oddball engine.  No one got excited about it either.





Then I went to Chatawa where I tried to understand the track and the well's relationship to it.


These are some props I've used and may again.



New Iberia man crawling under moving train.


His friends looking on.


The following are a few pictures from the upcoming BRH&E adventure / history research report which will probably never happen. It will die, as did the finishing of the "Down the Parish RRs of Yore" article I became so excited about by myself.

This one is of the remains of a trestle west of the Robert bridge.


One of many maps.. This one shows the BRH&E leaving Hammond and  moving east to Covington.


This a picture of the Robert, La. bridge before it fell into the water.  It is east of Hammond, seen in the map above. It crosses the Tangipahoa River.



The trestle's location.


This is the bridge west of Goodbee which is just west of Covington.


Its location.


I explored Goodbee and found where the depot was.



This is an excerpt from "When a RR Leaves Town", or that's close.












The records tell so much and are worth the reading for the evidence they supply.

















Oh, the busted down the bridge at Robert. This pic was taken by one of Virgil's friend's friends.


Then, the confusing linkage between the Garyville and Lyon Cypress Co. RRs.
Research netted a bunch of cypress lumbering pictures.
I might add, cypress lumbering was RAPE.  None of the players should be looked on positively.























Here we have some clarity.
I have page 9, but I have to hold something back.
More or less later.