30 Seconds Late and the Race Was On

60 miles including a pit stop for fuel and I missed the  Sunset at Bayou Sale by 30 seconds.  I was a quarter mile from a photo spot. The U-turn turned into a 70 mph romp across the bottom of  Louisiana. 

US 90 takes the long way round the turn north to Lafayette whereas Old 90  and the railroad
stay with the bayou and their arc is much tighter.
Going through the little towns would have been much too slow.
I was at speed rarely reached.  Then I almost blew it in the stretch.

I knew the distance from  the exit to the New Iberia station was too far. 
And, the train leaves there quickly so New Iberia was bypassed.

My only chance would be the stretch between Broussard and Lafayette, then into Lafayette and catch it at its stop there.  Miraculously, both attempts worked out, then some.
 The beautiful weather with clear blues skies and a north breeze didn't hurt.

Here are a few pictures of the pursued.
I saw the L&D girls waiting at Elks.


 Hey Mz Utah. Lookin' good girl. Did you get waxed?


As the L&D conductor went for the switch, AMTK 200 sped by while I sat in traffic.


 Surprisingly, I was the only one taking pictures from the back of a motorcycle.
After a while, at my age, you lose all inhibition.
Such is the power of becoming the master of your universe.
Coming dear.


 Sorry, a brief interruption while I arranged plants on HER patio for an hour.
Now dripping with sweat, lets continue.

Then it was off to the station.
I caught the leisurely dressed engineer ordering up lunch.
Lafayette, next to New Orleans, is where I'd want to eat.



 Conductor S. Harrington, and Bill, who works at the oyster house, discussed the menu.
Closeup picture not shown for privacy purposes but you can see them below, bottom right.
There were samplings being exchanged and it looked to be getting .... 

The the engineer looked on, a bit hungry himself.

 It was time to change location.
I went to St. Antoine St.
It's kinda in a "stressed" area  ("pc").
But it is prime for a picture as its location is railroading significant.
It is where the tracks coming from New Iberia turn west to where the west begins
It is also a historic location. In the distance
you can see the old sign announcing "Alex Jct.",
the lead to the rails that connected Lafayette to Cheneyville. 
This is along Morgan St.
The name is significant.
There is also a Morgan St. in Broussard.


 I gritted my teeth  hoping the ordering and oyster tasting had been quick.
The horns take forever to arrive, but here they came across Washington St.


I reeled back the zoom.


And there she went.




OK, I hit you with the main event first. 
I get tired of the intro being, "Here I am at Cade", "Here I am at New Iberia, "here I am .....".
Nuff Dat.

The ending will now be: 

 Here I am at New Iberia headed to Bayou Sale to try to catch the incoming Mz Sunset Limited.
1710 is new to the area, 2000 is not.


 Mz Allegheny was first seen years ago at Baldwin.
We have gone full circle as she was seen there today.


 LDRR 1500, which I believe is another CF7, may be doomed.  Her sister, 1501 has met her fate.


BNSF work was being done at the Duchamp crossing.
I stopped for a picture as directed.


A lonely carbon black train waited.
 That's 1502, yep another one, and a sister behind her.


 How jealous they must be of Mz S. Limited

Speaking of jealous.
Mark dropped his bike.
No, I'm not jealous of that.
Feeling that maybe his two wheelin' days were numbered, he has shifted gears
and continued his trip on this, his new ride.
 That is the new re-invigorated youthful Mark.
It cost him a pretty penny but he figures he can mow lawns for gas money.
I broke  this to him as gently as I could.
There isn't that much mowing grass "out west"
And he went the wrong direction for mower racing.
.