The Big MAC Attack

I wrote a few of my fellow railroad cohorts about today's pursuit.  I tried to explain my fascination with the pursued. I mentioned that it had been a big MAC.  A railroader insider wrote back that I must really know my engines and that he didn't know "the difference between a Big Mac and a Whopper".  I had to write back that prior to seeing this particular engine down in New Iberia, neither did I. What had made me wonder was that it was sure BIG like the usual modern long distance haulers but ....... it was an olive green BNSF engine ...... and it didn't have "wings".  I  first thought it might have been an engine that was acquired from a "captured" company like the Santa Fe War Bonnets had been. I was close but backwards. I posted that chase which took me all the way to Morgan City. In it I expressed my interest in this engine. In the meantime I'd run the numbers and gotten the scoop on its unique character.
Yes, "character". If you are enthralled with railroads, you assign "character".
You remember the engines that have "it".
Just as an example, all of AKDN's and a few of the originally painted L&D have character.

Back to this introduction. This chase, which ensued in Krotz Spring, might not have happened if I hadn't seen Mr. 9750, aka, "MAC".   Now tell me, isn't that a great nickname for a railroad engine!! 
Remember Mack Trucks?
They were great but not as good as  having a new Peterbuilt.
That use to be a great joke.

This is from a Wiki article on the family to which MAC belongs though he may be a stepchild.

"The SD70MAC (colloquially known as a "Mac" or a "70 Mac") is very similar to the SD70M and SD70I, the main difference being that the SD70MAC uses AC traction motors. Production of the model commenced in 1993.[1] AC motors, while simpler and more reliable than DC motors, require expensive inverters to generate a variable-frequency AC signal, raising the locomotive's purchase cost substantially. The majority of SD70MAC models were produced with the 4,000 horsepower (3,000 kW) EMD 710 prime mover[6] while later units are rated at 4,300 horsepower (3,200 kW) and feature EMD SD45-style flared radiators. {I call them "wings} They were also offered with a head-end power generation system for passenger trains.
The SD70MAC is no longer produced due to EPA regulations and has been replaced by the SD70ACe. Over 1500 examples of this model were produced. It was purchased by Burlington Northern Railroad (now BNSF Railway) {BN, Mac's original owners}, Conrail (units now owned by CSX), CSX, Transportación Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM; units now owned by Kansas City Southern Railway (KCS)),
and the Alaska ......"


So, now, if  you haven't left bored to tears I'll get on with what was a neck and neck chase from Krotz Springs to Eunice. Remember, my strict rules are that all traffic laws are followed to the extreme. Possibly holding a camera in one's mouth may in the future be banned, but,
until now the Ralph Nader crowd hasn't attacked.

By the way, that "green" car's, the Toyota Pre-Uh, brakes don't work in some instances like when you want to stop.  We can assume that budgeting did not go to that department during its design. Maybe they should have gotten some Stimulus Money?  Maybe they did since there's a little problem.

The Chase Begins

For a change I rode through Leonville and then took La.103 into Port Barre instead of La.741 through Pecaniere. That avoided getting onto US 190 and afforded easy access to viewing the Port Barre Yard.
While there one day I visited with a gentleman who was quite upset about not being able to get to his house on the south side of the tracks.  After assuring him I was not with the railroad
and understanding his frustration, I asked permission to take shots form his property which he granted.
With this hobby there ain't nothing better than being tight with the locals unless it's
being tight with the railroads.

At the crossing was a UP work truck  addressing some problem.
It was evident from looking up and down the line and seeing a "cut up" train that something was amiss.
 I went back to the La.103 crossing to see if there was an engine.
 Another shot only showed the cars I'd seen from the yard crossing.
 Crossing again I fired off a shot toward Opelousas.
That is the Bayou Teche trestle. Picture quality is what it is being "on the fly".
At US 190 I decided to ride to Krotz Springs and maybe go to Melville or somewhere. I was feeling a little disconnected and was "in neutral" just  "going through the motions".  Riding around in KS I'd migrated to the south side of the tracks. Nearing the tracks I saw a train exiting  the bridge going west. It was moving very, very slowly. I suspected a problem on the old bridge or it was stopping to pick up tanker cars at the refinery's filling station.
 Riding west to the next crossing I caught up with the nearly stopped engines.
I could see a KCS and a UP engine, but what was the lead?
 
 Say what! I recognized the olive green and horizontal light gray stripe.
 
 I moved west to a vantage spot near old US 190.
The engine was "way down the line".
 


I was at the end of the red stick. The train was at the west end of the KS passing track (yellow stick).
 Well look who was leading the pack, Big MAC.  That made sense to me.
 
 The Kansas City entry was second.

 A Union Pacific engine brought up the rear.

I was afraid that they had  work to do at the station and that they would be a while doing it.
My location was exposed and hot. I'd have to move on. 
I got back onto US 190 West and putted to Courtableau.
I knew I'd have a wait and decided that 45 minutes would be my limit.
45 MINUTES !!!!!?
Don't get all worried about my sanity. 
If you fish, worry about yours.
Uh huh, suddenly we have a connection, sanity or the lack there of.
It was REALLY REALLY HOT.
I did try to keep occupied and took some shots.
Too bad I didn't have a pole.
 Wishing and uh Hoping.
 How many angles are there? I almost wrote "anglers".
Is a photographer that uses a lot of angles, an angler?
There ya go, the connection. Whoa.

 
 These are two cuts across the water.
One was the old rail route prior to the building of the Morganza Floodway.
The other was US 190 which may have been La.7.
That is an involved story which has been covered and once again forgotten.
 The one on the left (above) is the yellow line. That was old US 190/La.7 ... possibly.
The red line was the railroad prior to Morganza.

The train never came. I had a choice of where my next stand would be.
Nearing the intersection of US190 and La.741,
I chose the farm road (right red line) crossing to take my next shot.
This is east of Port Barre.
The other train would be at the left red line.
What other train?
You'll see.
 The left line is La.741. The right one was my spot.

This shot was terrible so I played with it. Here he came.
The waiting train, which must have been the cut up train seen early on, was waiting.
This would be interesting. I sure hoped the switch was right.
If not, the bump could last a while.





Casey Jones?
by the Grateful Dead
(the lyrics are not guaranteed correct)

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey Jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

This old engine makes it on time,
Leaves Central Station bout a quarter to nine,
Hits river junction at seventeen to,
At a quarter to ten you know it's travlin' again.

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey Jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Trouble ahead, lady in red,
Take my advice you'd be better off dead.
Switch man's sleeping, train hundred and two is
On the wrong track and headed for you.

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey Jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
Got two good eyes but you still don't see.
Come round the bend, you know it's the end,
The fireman screams and the engine just gleams...




I hope Ol' Yeller made it, too. MAC did.
Here he is slow crossing La.103 west of the Port Barre Yard.
That's the Bayou Teche trestle to the right.

All accounted for.

With MAC's having to slow for the passing track I got on my horse and sped west.
I chose a shaded place where I could relax and cool off.
I was not halting the ride at Opelousas if I had a chance of catching him west of town.
I'd choose the turnaround beneath the US 190 bridge east of Opelousas (1).
The following shots are taken from there and the Grolee St. Crossing (2).
This place is 5 star for taking rail pictures.


Zooming In

Zooming in more.
Remember the MAC's had a little "smoking" problem.  He just exhaled.

I'd take a few shots and scurry over to No.2 Grolee St.


At the Grolee St. Crossing he'd already gone beneath I-49.



I got onto US 190 West through Opelousas.
Traffic was light and the lights were with me.
I made good progress through town and emerged knowing that with the 
65 mph speed limit I could catch him.  
He'd probably be doing 60 and it would take a while because his train was very long.
How long? That later.
I would not ride with him but try to get far ahead for my Eunice meet.



This was taken "over the shoulder". I was amazed it was somewhat "flat".
It was so good I'll show you one more time. I don't mind being abusive with your schedule.

I set up at the St.Mary St. Crossing, 
the first crossing on the east side of Eunice and where the east Eunice passing track ends.


A "limo" was waiting.

The new crew unloaded.


The driver contacted home base because there was a problem.
A woman driver had showed up, also.
There was tension in the air.
She sat in the car to the left.
The perplexed exiting crew scratched their heads.
Had it all come to this?
The Stand Off
The new crew high stepped off to the Mr. MAC glad to not be involved if lead flew.

I hated to bid Mr. Big MAC a farewell,   but figured he'd survive.
Flying lead is not part of this gig.
I'd check on the old AKDN girls, more my speed.
Sure enough, Mz 701 was napping.
She is still the power on the Eunice to Crowley run.


Mz 8063 and the new girl on the block were nearby.
I think she's an SD40. That is the only other number I know so I'll use it.
I'll have to admit I also know 30 and 35 but can't put a face on them.
Oh, I just remembered 60.

Exiting town, I had to check on just how long that train was.
Using my map software, I estimated it at very close to 1.5 miles.
It covered the Willie Young Rd. Crossing then a bunch.

From Willie Young looking east.
You can see that it just fit inside of the siding.
The east end switch is close behind the last car.

Looking west.
The rest of the ride was downhill.
That's it. Big Mac is one to watch for. I have an idea that putting him  up front was on purpose.
He has character and 4000 horsepower even with a smoking habit.