Train Chase: The Last Rodeo

These are the last pictures taken with my faithful Kodak.
They were taken in Southwest, La., east of Lafayette near
St.Martinville. The last of the sugarcane is being harvested.





In Cade, the train was tied up until the a new crew found her.





At the location of the old Confederate training camp, one
of my favorite stops, I sat and listened to the L&D RR tug
working over in the Iberia Industrial Park. The "orange
behind the trees is her.



I took a shot. The old Kodak 7590 was a fast reliable camera
which I could hold in one hand and shoot while riding at any speed.



A 60 mph train would get as may shots as I wanted.
I could fire a shot every 10 ties. No "review" to go through,
no BS.

















I'd ride down to New Iberia out of habit.



Seeing the blue Allegheny there was a relief. I hadn't seen
her in a while. She an oldie goldie wearing her original colors.
She is as much a "collectable" as she is a workhorse.



Out on the yard, a long train was being assembled.





Then I headed home and the camera got terminally wet in a downpour.
Her date had been wrong and that couldn't be fixed. Her zoom motor
gears jammed and you couldn't adjust anything becauseher toggle switch
was shot. I related. She'd been my companion for probably 7 years of great
rides. Being without her will not be the same. I'm considering her demise
a sign that maybe it's time to quit this line of work. My toggle is busted, too.